Pork Katsudon is a popular Japanese dish whose name was taken from the Japanese words tonkatsu which means pork cutlet and donburi or rice bowl dish.
Apart from its flavorful and sumptuous taste, the Katsudon has also become part of popular Japanese culture. First, because the word katsu is a homophone of the verb katsu which means “to win” or “be victorious”. Because of this, it has become a modern ritual for Japanese students to eat katsudon the night before an exam with the belief that doing so will help them pass.
It is also believed that suspected criminals will speak the truth if they ate katsudon. It’s become a popular gag and has been depicted in several movies as well.
- Vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup of chicken stock
- 1 tbsp. of soy sauce
- 1 tsp of white sugar
- 1 brown onion (sliced)
- 1/3 cup green shallots (thinly sliced)
- 2 cups of Japanese Rice
- 4 pcs of 100g pork loin steaks
- 5 pcs of egg
- 1/2 cup of plain flour
- 2 cups of breadcrumbs
- Put rice in a large bowl then cover with cold water. Wash the rice gently, drain, and then cook. Put it aside and keep it warm.
- Between 2 sheets of baking paper, insert one pork steak then gently pound until 1cm thick. Do the same for the remaining pork slices then season.
- Have 2 eggs in a bowl and put flour and breadcrumbs on separate plates. Dip each strip in flour, then in egg, then in breadcrumbs like you do with crispy fried chicken.
- Pour oil over medium-high heat, cook pork for 2 minutes on each side or until it turns golden brown.
- Mix chicken stock, soy sauce and sugar. Cook the onions for 8 minutes then add the stock mixture and top with pork.
- Whisk 3 pieces of egg and pour over pork. Cook for 2 minutes until egg is right. Put rice on serving bowls then put the pork mixture on top before sprinkling with shallot.
Best consumed with chopsticks since Japanese rice is sticky and can easily be picked. Enjoy your meal!
Is a passionate adviser at Marketunlimited who loves recommending/giving advice on Credit Card related problems.
My life is concerned with consumers searching for information on utilizing their credit cards. So I possess a strong will to help consumers search the internet and get the best info concerning their Cards.